Tuesday, November 17, 2009

10 Year Old Takes a Stand


I was thrilled this morning to find out that a ten year old boy from Arkansas made news by refusing to stand up and say The Pledge of Allegiance. His reasoning? There is not "Liberty and Justice For All." His reasoning is primarily based on the fact that gays and lesbians do not have equal rights. He also adds that there is still much racism and sexism in the world. This kid is amazing and brave. Watch it here.
I remember refusing to say the pledge as a kid. I think it was because of the God rhetoric and I didn't feel it was inclusive or applicable to my beliefs. Of course, I didn't articulate it enough by only saying, "I don't believe in it," still my homeroom teachers were fairly outraged and tried repeatedly to make me stand citing it as disrespectful.
There is hope for a more equitable world. When we feel hopeless, we need to remember, there are people out there, there are children out there who are hell bent at standing up for what is right and for what is just. For those of us who choose to have children, teach them love and educate them. Hate does not spring forth from itself. It must be taught. Love must also be taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment