Wednesday, February 3, 2010

All the Leaves are Brown


Let's face it: It is human nature to judge. I know of no one that hasn't had their judgmental moments. It's a completely natural/emotional/visceral response. What is the remedy? For myself, it's hard learned lessons to take steps back, which, admittedly, does not always happen as frequently as I wish. But I will tell you that it usually works out better than jumping to conclusions and judgment. Now that you have read my hedge, I want to talk about MacKenzie Philips.
Here's MacKenzie's situation: She was born into the limelight of Hollywood to one of the more famous families of the time. Her mother and father were both in the Mamas and the Papas. That alone sets up a fucked up life that I don't think many people could possibly relate to. Then, you've got your dad, John Philips, preacher of free love, peace, drugs and rock and roll. Yeah man. Cool. Right? She started using LSD and Marijuana at 12 not because she was a 'bad girl,' but because it was the norm for her. She had big name rock stars around her all the time. These are not easy issues to talk about. But here's something else: She says she was aggressively seduced by Mick Jagger, visiting in the Phillips home, who told her, "I've been waiting to do this since you were ten years old."
And then a few months ago, we find out that JOHN had an incestuous relationship with MacKenzie. The details, to me, are relatively unimportant. Lately the media has jumped on the word CONSENSUAL because, at a certain point, MacKenzie said that their relationship had turned into this. I read many posts where people where so highly critical of MacKenzie. How could she do that? They are both disgusting, etc., etc. ARE YOU SERIOUS? SHE WAS A CHILD. A child who grew up in a reality that most of us cannot and should not ever fathom. And now there are people who can point fingers and tell her how disgusting she is? Nice. I don't care if she was in love with her father. I don't care if she initiated it from the get go. And now she's retracted her, "It was consensual" statement after coming into the line of fire. And her drug use? Who wouldn't want to numb themselves silly after a life like that. Please people, show some compassion and fight against something that deserves a fight and while you're at it, take a few steps back.

No comments:

Post a Comment